THE GRANT HOUSE
The Grant House at 150 Elgin Street sits at the south east corner of the site at the intersection of Elgin Street and Gloucester Street. The two and a half storey brick structure — which was originally a residence — was constructed in 1875 for its first owners Dr. James Grant and Maria Grant.
The design of the building is attributed to Bradish Billings (1783-1864) and the architecture is representative of the Second Empire style, which was made fashionable in France during the reign of Napoleon III (1852-1870). The House was designed by the City of Ottawa under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1982. The Performance Court at 150 Elgin officestructure has been designed to cantilever over the Grant House and partially enclose it within the Winter Garden public space fronting onto Elgin Street.
The objective is to preserve the Grant House and make it a focal point within the new building and an exciting retail space. Furthermore, the massing of Performance Court was designed in order to respect the scale of the Grant House. The 21 storey office tower steps down in height as it approaches Elgin Street, creating a transition between the tower and historic Grant House.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
To the north of Performance Court at the corner of Elgin Street and Laurier Avenue, sits the First Baptist Church. Construction began in the spring of 1877 and the cornerstore was laid by Canada’s second Prime Minister, Alexander Mackenzie. The Church officially opened on Sunday, September 29th, 1878. The Church was designed by Architect James Mather and is in the Gothic Revival Style. Built of limestone, the total cost of the building, including the land and furnishings was $21,700.